Auto Farms Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Voytex, Aug 11, 2016.

?

Should auto farms be banned?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2016.
  1. Yes

27.3%
  2. No

72.7%
  3. No, but maybe limit them to a certain size to prevent extreme lag, such as 10x10x20 or 25x25x20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voytex

Voytex Member

If you haven't been living under a rock for the past few weeks, I'm sure you've noticed that there's been a lot of talk surrounding auto farms, server lag, and broken redstone in general. A majority of these problems arise from players use of automatic farms, which contribute greatly to server lag and as a result end up hurting the servers stability, as well as any players wishing to use redstone for other means as it becomes blocked or locked up to reduce lag. So now, my question to you, people of Drugrun, is whether or not automatic farms should be banned.

Before you vote however, lets take a look at the benefits and negatives of banning automatic farms.

Pros:
    • A more stable server with less lag, meaning a better play experience for everyone
    • It would allow us to stay on our current server, and while I do not know everything about this, I'm assuming it would save some money which could in turn be used to further advertise the server
    • Most redstone contraptions beyond automatic farms would work wonderfully, meaning you could now have fancy piston doors to your bases or some nice automated storage systems to keep things nice and organized, amongst other things
    • It encourages the playerbase to remain active and involved, as players will no longer be sitting AFK for hours at their farms
    Cons
    • Players will now have to expend a little bit more effort to actually make money (Oh the horror, you poor poor things)
    • Players with auto farms already built may be hurt a little, but I'm sure some compensation could be reached if the farms were to be purged.
    • I'm sorry I really couldnt think of any more negatives to banning automatic farms.
    Lets face it, this is a farming server. You are meant to farm and harvest your crops, and work hard to make your money. I'm well aware of the time and effort that can be put into building an automatic farm, but when you weigh this against the sacrifices that the rest of the server has to make, it really doesnt seem reasonable to allow such a thing to continue when all it would require is people to just play the game instead of sit AFK at their computer while they binge watch some random show on Netflix or Crunchyroll.

2. Oagodogo2610

Oagodogo2610 Member

To be honest there is 0 fun in just making one farm, expanding it and just doing the same thing over and over.
    The thing with autos is that they are hard to make and fun to make because you can make your own designs and decide how you want to make it, i see 0 fun in just holding ur mouse button down and going to sell for hours on end, id rather spend hours with friends making auto farms until we get raided and make a new one. Without auto farms the server would slowly but surely die.

3. adajac

adajac Member

Watch as the server crumbles as you hit a semi auto button on a pump fires and it sets over 1000 pistons off at once and still have the same problem or we could just get a new fucking host one that knows what they are doing and actually uses server grade hardware and ssds

4. maxito43

maxito43 DrugRun Owner
    Staff Member Owner

We are moving host again soon, double the costs, but a server-grade CPU (much more powerful then 1st host too). We made a mistake moving to a i7 4790k consumer CPU. Auto farms following the correct guidelines will be working again by that time. ETA 3-4 days.

5. Voytex

Voytex Member

You can just lock this post or delete it, I was just pissed off that all redstone was being blocked as a result of automatic farms causing server lag.

And in response to Oag: Automatic farms are neither hard to make nor very customizable, as once you find a design that works you will most likely stick with it and use it over and over again. And just as you would need to rebuild if an auto farm gets raided, you need to do the same with a normal farm. As with selling, you have to spend alot of time selling regardless, so?

And adaj: Semi-automatic farms are classes as automatic farms, since fully automatic farms don't work on the server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.